Saturday 28 May 2011

On Stranger Tides


I went to London today. Got this photo of the ship in a bottle in Trafalgar Square, which was a fitting precursor; for afterwards we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides. I hadn't been too impressed by the last two films in this franchise, and hadn't expected much. I was pleasantly surprised, it was very enjoyable, and it had mermaids! One was played by Astrid Berges Frisbey, who looks very lovely, and makes up for the absence of Keira Knightley in some measure- as does Penelope Crus who looks like she's already found the fountain of youth. All the cast were on good form, including Ian McShane as Blackbeard, who finally shakes off the shadow of Lovejoy! And of course Depp charmingly roguish as Captain Jack Sparrow...


Good film, although not one for historical accuracy sticklers. Amusing to see well known London locations jumping around, the Greenwich Naval Hospital and the Old Bailey combining and finding a new home in front of St Paul's, for instance, or the interior of Hampton Court turning into that of Greenwich. (I also noticed that the navy/privateer ship had a post-1801 union jack at the rear rather than an ensign- the Union Jack actually belongs on the jack staff at the front!) Anyway, it was all good escapist fantasy, and very much up my street. Shouldn't hurt interest in the pirates-related illustration project I've been involved in until recently, which should shortly come online as a facebook-based game. It may also inspire me to paint some more mermaid paintings, or at least off the one I started a while back. Maybe some more sailing ships, too...

After the film we had a potter around Camden Lock, where I patronized the bookshop and bought a book on Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema. I also saw this awesome dog:


Then went to Worlds End.

A nice interlude.

No comments:

Post a Comment